When I look in the mirror I see that same girl staring back that I saw a year ago… but that girl isn’t the same anymore.
She’s a little stronger… because she went through a few storms.
A little braver… because she faced a few unexpected bumps on the road.
A little wiser… because she allowed God to to teach her lessons in life she would have never learned on her own.
If there was one world I could use to sum up this year it would be this: bittersweet.
Bitter because it had some hard moments. Some trying times. Some setbacks.
Sweet because it was those bitter moments that made her stronger, helped her see things with a new perspective, helped her overcome her fears, helped her face her challenges, helped her grow into the person that she is today…
Today… I want to take a look back on this year and remember everything God taught me from the beginning until the end.
Here you go: my top 10 lessons of 2012:
1. Hard times happen. Dead end’s happen. It’s part of life. I don’t need to be worried and scared as if it is the end of the world because I know that God still loves me. He has a purpose for allowing me to go through those things and He’ll always use them for my own good.
2. Life never goes the way you plan. It’s good to make plans and set goals but I shouldn’t be disappointed if those things I plan for never happen. God’s plan is better than my own. God’s timing is also different than my own but He has a plan for everything I go through so no matter where I end up I should trust in His perfect plan, timing, and sovereign will for my life.
3. God’s Word is my daily food and if I don’t choose to read it, to learn from it, to live by it then I’m choosing to be weak. I’m choosing to (possibly) stray off the path. I’m choosing to not seek His guidance for every single step that I take.
4. It’s more important to be beautiful on the inside than on the outside. People look at the outside but God looks at the heart.
5. I need to live for eternity because although it’s nice to “make it big” in this world, it’s even more important to “make it big” in heaven. To do things that have eternal significance. To live not to satisfy my own desires and pleasures but to fulfill God’s will for my life.
6. It’s up to me to make the most of life. To chase after God instead of the meaningless pleasures and pursuits of this world. I can choose to let my past hold me back. I can choose to let fear of an uncertain future keep me stuck right where I’m at. I can choose to focus on the wrong things in life or I can choose to pursue God. And I need to choose wisely.
7. I need to appreciate life because there is always someone out there who has it harder than me. I need to be thankful for everything including hard times because God uses the hardships in life for my own good. No matter what I’m going through I always have a reason to rejoice because I have Jesus as my savior.
8. I never walk alone. God is with me through absolutely everything I go through in life. Even when I feel alone. Even when I don’t think He’s next to me. And knowing that gives me the courage I need to take the next step in life.
9. I should stop trying to figure out why I’m single and start using my single time wisely. God has a purpose for this season in my life and instead of wasting time wondering why I don’t have a ring on my finger and three kids by now I should be purposefully living my life to serve others in the way God has called me to.
10. It’s ok to take off the “mask” that I sometimes wear. It’s ok to be a little vulnerable. It’s ok to show the world that I don’t “have it all together”. It’s better to be real with people even if they won’t see you as the perfect person you wish to be than being fake and never allowing anyone to see you for who you really are.
Another year has gone by… and I am thankful for everything God has taught me and I’m not afraid of the lessons He will teach me in 2013 because I know… He will always be by my side, just like He has been every year until now. 🙂
Is there anything He’s been teaching you this year? I would love to hear what lessons you have been learning. 🙂 –Anna… ♥